Boston Globe Media is seeking a Data Scientist to be a part of a growing digital arm to help impact change in the digital publishing industry. We are looking for an analytical and creative-minded person who will reinvent the way that we look at growing our audiences and communicating to our consumers.
- Perform data mining, modeling, and analyses to see beyond the numbers and uncover solutions that improve subscriber acquisition and retention, content interaction, revenue and audience growth, and user experiences in social, newsletter, email and web.
- Iterate rapidly to identify solutions from a wide field of possibilities, while ensuring that conclusions are statistically significant and supported by sufficient data
- Build tools, pipelines, and dashboards to support insight and optimization
- Use a combination of SQL, Python, R, and your own code to create analyses and models
- Work with cross-functional team consisting of product managers, developers, designers, and editorial leads to implement new tests, tracking, and features across Boston Globe Media’s websites
Skills and Experience:
- College degree in computer science, statistics, math, or economics
- 2+ years of experience in quantitative analysis. Experience with:
- data cleansing
- modeling fitting
- time series
- machine learning
- significance testing
- statistical quality control
- Bayesian methods and/or similar approaches
- Proficiency with surveys, sampling, data collection, and research methodologies
- Experience writing code (Python, PHP, or related) required
- Fluency in SQL and relational databases
- Experience with a statistical package such as R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience working in large data sets using tools such as hadoop, hive, pig, elastic search.
- Experience with web technologies and consumer behavior is a plus