This post is a summary of the views of several data scientists about what’s good about working as a data scientist. The information came from a post by Aaron Gendle, Data Architect at Eccella, posted on Lillian Pierson’s website.
Data science is an exciting adventure because:
• You can work in any sector.
• You experience a wide diversity of problems.
• There is always something new to learn: the opportunities are limitless
• Each problem has something new and challenging.
• The community of data scientists is creative and sharing.
• Discovering knowledge from data that drives business and beats experts is very satisfying.
• You get to explain data science tools to other business units, and get their interest.
• It helps advance science.
• It brings structure to unstructured data and helps focus on actionable objectives.
• You get to focus on and communicate complex ideas.
• It helps people from strategies based on facts and evidence.
• You get to use mathematics to help solve business problems.
• You get paid to spend your days solving interesting puzzles and figuring things out.
• You get to explore data and connect analysis with people’s behavior.
• The constant experience of discovery often overturns expert opinion.
• You get to take powerful and interesting algorithms and techniques and apply them across a range of disciplines and problems.
• It takes you on a journey, from exploration to modeling.
• You get a thrill when your model is better at prediction than is anything else.